Looking for a kid-friendly cafe?
Looking for a place to be, hang, eat, meet with or without kids?? SohBet. It's our new favoritest spot. SohBet, how much do I love thee? Let me count the ways:
- free WiFi
- huge toy area with tons of diversion for the wee ones (diversions include piles of paper, markers, crayons, tinker-toys, duplo, blocks, trucks, and other stuff I'm forgetting)
- stumptown coffee
- a couple o' comfy armchairs
- pastries from baker 'n' spice
- panini (on a recent trip, I had a turkey pesto with roasted red peppers and provolone. YUM YUM YUM.)
- other nibbles and bits, including olives, almonds, cheese platters, soups, sandwiches.
retail items like fun 'n funky ceramics and dishware, gold encrusted alma chocolates, other specialty items like preserves, honey, biscuits.
- changing table in the restroom.
- music on thursday and friday nights.
- piles of reading materials, the NYT and mags galore.
- it's 1-1/2 blocks from my house.
What a place. It's home away from home for everyone in the family. Proprietors David and Julia are calm, down-to-earth, and family-friendly, as are the patrons. I often see a diverse group of the kidless and the non-kidless hanging out in the expansive space. I think it's simultaneously kid- and parent-friendly, even more so than peanut butter & ellie's. And, because it's more cozy, has a wider food selection, and is more convenient, it's trumping our all-time favorite, urban grind in the NE.
SohBet / 503-735-3446 / 2710 N. Killingsworth, Portland, OR 97217